Like what you've read?

On Line Opinion is the only Australian site where you get all sides of the story. We don't
charge, but we need your support. Here�s how you can help.

  • Advertise

    We have a monthly audience of 70,000 and advertising packages from $200 a month.

  • Volunteer

    We always need commissioning editors and sub-editors.

  • Contribute

    Got something to say? Submit an essay.

 The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
On Line Opinion logo ON LINE OPINION - Australia's e-journal of social and political debate


On Line Opinion is a not-for-profit publication and relies on the generosity of its sponsors, editors and contributors. If you would like to help, contact us.


RSS 2.0

Spain, Norway & Ireland finally swallow the Palestine poison pill

By David Singer - posted Friday, 31 May 2024

Spain, Norway and Ireland are the latest states to announce their intention to swallow the Palestine poison pill that rejects the two-state solution contemplated by the 1922 League of Nations Mandate for Palestine (Mandate): One Jewish State in 23.1% of former Palestine located west of the Jordan River and one Arab state in the remaining 76.9% of former Palestine located east of the Jordan River (Mandate Solution).

Spain and Norway's decisions are especially shameful since they were 2 of the 51 Member States of the League of Nations who unanimously approved the Mandate Solution calling for the "reconstitution" of the Jewish National Home west of the Jordan River - pursuant to articles 6 and 25 of the Mandate.


The term "reconstitution" clearly acknowledged recognition by the League of Nations that 10 ½ of the 12 tribes of Israel had established their biblical, historic and ancient homeland there - whilst the remaining 1 ½ tribes had settled east of the Jordan River. (See following diagram)

Israel and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan – the two successor states to the Mandate - currently exercise sovereignty in 95% of former Palestine – with sovereignty still being unresolved in the remaining 5% of Palestine located west of the Jordan River known as Judea and Samaria (West Bank) and Gaza. The Jewish people's right to sovereignty in these areas has been preserved in article 80 of the United Nations Charter.

Article 80 was inserted in the UN Charter following acceptance of a Memorandum submitted to the United Nations Conference on Organisation in April 1945 by the Jewish Agency for Palestine - which urged:

In view of the unique character of the Palestine Mandate and the special rights of the Jewish people thereunder, no action should be taken at the San Francisco Conference which would be inconsistent with or prejudicial to the special rights of the Jewish people under the Balfour Declaration and the Palestine Mandate, and all such rights shall be expressly reserved and safeguarded.

Spain, Norway and Ireland have chosen to fly in the face of these political and legal realities - joining the stampede by more than 140 member states of the United Nations backing the creation of a second Arab state – in addition to Jordan – in Judea and Samaria (West Bank) and Gaza – to be governed by Hamas or the Palestinian Authority - rather than dividing sovereignty in these remaining areas of the Mandate between Israel and Jordan.


A solution that could break this impasse – the Hashemite Kingdom of Palestine solution (HKOPS) – remains deliberately buried by Secretary-General Guterres and undiscussed at the United Nations despite its publication on 8 June 2022 in the Saudi Government-controlled Al-Arabiya News.

HKOPS calls for a new territorial entity to be created comprising Jordan, Gaza and part of Judea and Samaria (West Bank).

HKOPS forcefully asserts:

  • Jordanians and Palestinians are as similar as any people can be. They are Sunni Arabs from the same neighborhood. Merging them will not create any long-term ethnic or sectarian fault lines.
  • Palestinians in Arab countries like Lebanon can then become citizens of this enlarged kingdom while also getting full residency rights in Lebanon, equivalent to what an EU citizen has in the European Union outside his or her home country.
  • The transition to an expanded Palestinian–Jordanian kingdom ... will simply involve the current kingdom of Jordan's widening its writ to cover the Palestinian territories and the diaspora in a step recognized by all relevant countries. This would be accompanied by a withdrawal of recognition of the Palestinian Authority

Time is fast running out for the UN to consider HKOPS to avert the Middle East becoming one huge killing field.


  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

Discuss in our Forums

See what other readers are saying about this article!

Click here to read & post comments.

Share this:
reddit this reddit thisbookmark with Del.icio.usdigg thisseed newsvineSeed NewsvineStumbleUpon StumbleUponsubmit to propellerkwoff it

About the Author

David Singer is an Australian Lawyer, a Foundation Member of the International Analyst Network and Convenor of Jordan is Palestine International - an organisation calling for sovereignty of the West Bank and Gaza to be allocated between Israel and Jordan as the two successor States to the Mandate for Palestine. Previous articles written by him can be found at

Other articles by this Author

All articles by David Singer

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Article Tools
Comment Comments
Print Printable version
Subscribe Subscribe
Email Email a friend

About Us Search Discuss Feedback Legals Privacy