Like what you've read?

On Line Opinion is the only Australian site where you get all sides of the story. We don't
charge, but we need your support. Here�s how you can help.

  • Advertise

    We have a monthly audience of 70,000 and advertising packages from $200 a month.

  • Volunteer

    We always need commissioning editors and sub-editors.

  • Contribute

    Got something to say? Submit an essay.

 The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
On Line Opinion logo ON LINE OPINION - Australia's e-journal of social and political debate


On Line Opinion is a not-for-profit publication and relies on the generosity of its sponsors, editors and contributors. If you would like to help, contact us.


RSS 2.0

Independent schools contribute significantly to Australian education

By David Robertson - posted Friday, 31 January 2014

The new school year has kicked off with many of the familiar themes once again in the media spotlight including, unfortunately, a revival of the old public versus private schooling debate.

Much has been made of the fees that parents pay for independent schooling, including references to a very narrow survey that did not reflect the wide variety of fees and diversity available within the independent sector. Social commentators and authors have posed social and economic arguments in favour of government schools over non-government schools.

State, independent and Catholic school sectors all have a valuable role to play in educating future generations of young people, and parents have the right to choose a school that best suits their child and their beliefs.


Parents who send their children to non-government schools do so for a variety of reasons. Independent Schools Queensland (ISQ) research shows parents choose independent schools because they believe the school of their choice best prepares their child for later life, exercises good discipline and encourages a responsible attitude to school work.

These parents are prepared to pay school fees to support their choice, and their financial contribution represents a significant saving to taxpayers.

The Productivity Commission Report on Government Services 2014 released this week showed how much parents who send their children to non-government schools save the taxpayer: in 2012, State and Federal governments provided 57.3% of non-government school funding, with the remaining 42.7% sourced from private fees and fundraising.

The Productivity Commission figures showed average government recurrent expenditure for each full-time equivalent Queensland student attending a government school was $15,526 compared with average government recurrent expenditure of $8,774 for each student attending a non-government school. 

With more than 115,000 students educated at independent schools in Queensland in 2012 and almost 116,000 students expected to be educated in 2014, this represents a saving to governments in recurrent expenditure of at least  $800 million in a year.

Independent schools represent extraordinary diversity in size, makeup and focus. In addition to large city-based, urban fringe and regional schools, there are many that serve Indigenous, remote, and special needs students.


While independent schools are rich in diversity, they share many common values, including placing a high value on community connections, backed by parents who make significant financial and personal contributions to the running of their schools.

The continued growth in independent school enrolments clearly indicates that parents believe they receive value in terms of the investment they make in school education. Instead of driving a wedge between the different schooling sectors, we should support independent schools for their vital contribution to Australian education.

  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

Discuss in our Forums

See what other readers are saying about this article!

Click here to read & post comments.

18 posts so far.

Share this:
reddit this reddit thisbookmark with Del.icio.usdigg thisseed newsvineSeed NewsvineStumbleUpon StumbleUponsubmit to propellerkwoff it

About the Author

David Robertson is Executive Director of Independent Schools Queensland.

Other articles by this Author

All articles by David Robertson

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Photo of David Robertson
Article Tools
Comment 18 comments
Print Printable version
Subscribe Subscribe
Email Email a friend

About Us Search Discuss Feedback Legals Privacy